The End (isn't that how all "stuff" ends?)
Hong Kong, China
Even though this is our last posting, please check out the photographs below. Mel posted them late last night.
We would really appreciate your comments on the blog. Were the entries too long? Were the subject o.k. or was something missing? Just click on the comments below. (and below the comment box select "other" and then you have a box for your name. Leaving "blogger" checked - the default - gives you some registration woes while "other" works just fine.)
Finally, some random thoughts gathered on the trip.
Traveling in Europe does not make you aware of the impact of colonization. Traveling in this part of the world does. New Zealand, Australia and Hong Kong were colonized by England. They operated under a theory whose name I forget that asserted that native people did not "own" their land but they, the English, could. The Dutch colonized Bali. The history of Australia is very similar to that of America. The native people were forced off their lands, their children were educated into being ashamed of their culture and their culture was erradicated. Today, like the Native American, they suffer from poverty, alcoholism and other social ills. They represent less than 2% of the population. In Bali, the native population was not allowed to have an education during the 150 years of Dutch rule. The history of New Zealand is somewhat different. The Maoris signed a peace treaty with England and were allowed to keep some of their lands and their culture intact. Many were, however, wiped out by the diseases brought by the English to which they had no immunities. Today, they represent nearly 40% of the population and they assert that many of their social ills have to do with the history of colonization. In Hong Kong, the English built a world powerhouse city. I have just begun reading "Hong Kong" by Jan Morris to learn more about it but there appears to be some question about the organizational skills of the Chinese to handle such an economic giant and the government here is in some turmoil.
Some people have asked us about foods. All of these countries have experienced immigration from around the world. Their cuisines reflect those cultures with restaurants from India, Italy, etc. Eggs and toast were always available for breakfast, along with local foods. Most lunch menus included sandwiches. Most dinner menus included items such as pasta, steaks, fish, chicken as well as local foods. Australia and New Zealand had many classy restaurants. Bali seems to have the least well developed cuisine and the three most popular dishes came from elsewhere: satay (from Thailand), fried rice and fried noodles (from China). Fried rice and fried noodles were always on the breakfast buffet along with a fried bean curd dish, and several varies of hot pepper sauces. I grew to like them for breakfast.
Not everyone in the world speaks English. People in hotels and restaurants probably do. Those on the street (like when you need to ask directions) may not. It is really, really important to learn a few words of the host country if English is not the primary language. It opens doors and makes people feel like you think they are important. It is especially important to learn their numbers. In places like Bali, everything is bargained so you should be able to count. In Bali, they loved Mel. He has memorized the phrase, "I am sorry, I do not speak Balinese except a tiny little." The immediate reaction was a welcoming gesture and "Oh, you speak Balinese!"
Finally, we were so fortunate to begin our travels in three of the friendliest countries: Australia, New Zealand and Bali. In Australia and New Zealand, the conversation (initiated by them) always began, "So, are you on holiday?" In Bali, it began, "Where you from?" On the street, strangers had ready smiles and welcoming attitudes. It is not true here in Hong Kong. Perhaps it's because of the climate. Perhaps it's because it is a more materialistic culture and everyone is busy, busy, busy. I don't know. But, I will carry the warm faces of the others with me for a long time.
We are packing and heading for home. We can't wait to see our family and friends.
Love,
Jan
Even though this is our last posting, please check out the photographs below. Mel posted them late last night.
We would really appreciate your comments on the blog. Were the entries too long? Were the subject o.k. or was something missing? Just click on the comments below. (and below the comment box select "other" and then you have a box for your name. Leaving "blogger" checked - the default - gives you some registration woes while "other" works just fine.)
Finally, some random thoughts gathered on the trip.
Traveling in Europe does not make you aware of the impact of colonization. Traveling in this part of the world does. New Zealand, Australia and Hong Kong were colonized by England. They operated under a theory whose name I forget that asserted that native people did not "own" their land but they, the English, could. The Dutch colonized Bali. The history of Australia is very similar to that of America. The native people were forced off their lands, their children were educated into being ashamed of their culture and their culture was erradicated. Today, like the Native American, they suffer from poverty, alcoholism and other social ills. They represent less than 2% of the population. In Bali, the native population was not allowed to have an education during the 150 years of Dutch rule. The history of New Zealand is somewhat different. The Maoris signed a peace treaty with England and were allowed to keep some of their lands and their culture intact. Many were, however, wiped out by the diseases brought by the English to which they had no immunities. Today, they represent nearly 40% of the population and they assert that many of their social ills have to do with the history of colonization. In Hong Kong, the English built a world powerhouse city. I have just begun reading "Hong Kong" by Jan Morris to learn more about it but there appears to be some question about the organizational skills of the Chinese to handle such an economic giant and the government here is in some turmoil.
Some people have asked us about foods. All of these countries have experienced immigration from around the world. Their cuisines reflect those cultures with restaurants from India, Italy, etc. Eggs and toast were always available for breakfast, along with local foods. Most lunch menus included sandwiches. Most dinner menus included items such as pasta, steaks, fish, chicken as well as local foods. Australia and New Zealand had many classy restaurants. Bali seems to have the least well developed cuisine and the three most popular dishes came from elsewhere: satay (from Thailand), fried rice and fried noodles (from China). Fried rice and fried noodles were always on the breakfast buffet along with a fried bean curd dish, and several varies of hot pepper sauces. I grew to like them for breakfast.
Not everyone in the world speaks English. People in hotels and restaurants probably do. Those on the street (like when you need to ask directions) may not. It is really, really important to learn a few words of the host country if English is not the primary language. It opens doors and makes people feel like you think they are important. It is especially important to learn their numbers. In places like Bali, everything is bargained so you should be able to count. In Bali, they loved Mel. He has memorized the phrase, "I am sorry, I do not speak Balinese except a tiny little." The immediate reaction was a welcoming gesture and "Oh, you speak Balinese!"
Finally, we were so fortunate to begin our travels in three of the friendliest countries: Australia, New Zealand and Bali. In Australia and New Zealand, the conversation (initiated by them) always began, "So, are you on holiday?" In Bali, it began, "Where you from?" On the street, strangers had ready smiles and welcoming attitudes. It is not true here in Hong Kong. Perhaps it's because of the climate. Perhaps it's because it is a more materialistic culture and everyone is busy, busy, busy. I don't know. But, I will carry the warm faces of the others with me for a long time.
We are packing and heading for home. We can't wait to see our family and friends.
Love,
Jan


3 Comments:
I have thoroughly enjoyed your travels as once a week I log on and catch up on your whereabouts. I can definitely dream that my husband and I will also "journey" some day.
Thanks for blog!
Steph
I think the two of you have created a "TravelBlogue" that can be held up as an example of how to do it right. The posts are a good length and offer a great deal of insight. A number of the photos have been extraordinary. I honestly wouldn't blink if I saw a couple of them in Nat'l Geographic. It's apparent, especially reading Janet's last post, that the two of you are growing through the experience.
What a wonderful adventure. I"m so glad you and Mel are previewing the whole world for the rest of us. I've loved all of your blog. I especially like the history and the pictures. The frog is pretty cute too. I hope you're bringing him with for part two.
Post a Comment
<< Home