Glacier Alley in Patagonia
A note from Janet: I generally prefer land trips to cruising because I want to see as much as possible but this section of the trip assuaged my fears. We cruised through the fjords of Chile, as these photos show, through magnificent, snow-capped mountains, jagged peaks and glaciers. We left Ushuaia, (the first photo), while sitting in the bar on the top floor of the ship, listening to commentary from the ship's naturalist. So now I know that a glacier is still melting while an ice field is not and, by definition, a fjord was carved out by a glacier. We passed one after another of the glaciers, some with fabulous waterfalls. The trip through "glacier alley" took about three hours. Luckily, sunset this far south isn't until after 9:30 pm. Everyone has told us that we are experiencing warmer weather, clearer skies and calmer seas than most cruises on this route. And, we even met three other politically like-minded people!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home