Mel and Janet's Excellent Adventure

This blog is a way for Janet and Mel to communicate with friends and family during their incredible journeys following retirement. Of course, some adventures are less than incredible. You might not find those here. Their most recent adventure took them to Okinawa, Japan to see their now 4-year old twin grandchildren, Milana Michelle and Tavis Michael. Feel free to add your comments, questions, or just news. Private communications can be sent to m-muchnik@sbcglobal.net.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

By ferry to Picton

I was a very scaredy cat kind of a kid. Always obeyed my parents and teachers. Never took dares. And, I am afraid of heights so what am I doing in a chair lift on a volcano in summer when the distance between the chair and the rocks below looks so much greater than when the ground is covered with snow? However, Mel's description was apt. It was an amazing experience. At the top of the volcano there was a small exhibit of how it looked when it blew in 1995 and again in 1996. Right now, it's quiet.

Life in the camper is getting easier but you should try to imagine me getting up in the morning, throwing on a raincoat over my nightgown and walking across the campground (probably the distance of half a Park Forest block) to the showers, towels, clothes and toiletries in hand. Usually, I forget something and have to traipse back!

We took the ferry to Picton, this morning, across Cook Strait and through the Marlborough Sound. (This was a ferry large enough to bring a freight train across the water, which it did.) It was a somewhat rough ride, very windy and rainy. I think Mel loved it. I zoned out on dramamine. Tormorrow we will go on a small boat through Queen Charlotte Sound (if the weather clears) and back to get a smidge of Wellington. This is a gorgeous country. This part of the north island is like the coast of Washington State - mountains and trees coming down to the water.

I finally found a doctor who is treating the cause of my coughing instead of just the symptoms. I am hopeful.
Love,
Janet

Did I mention ducks?

One slight addendum. The night before arriving in Wellington we stayed a night in a river city called Wanganui. We spent the night surrounded by 30-40 very aggressive ducks which apparently Ethan loved hearing about (via text messaging on my cell phone) and wanted to know how many. They were organized by a loud white and slightly black duck. There were babies, and many were brown. Then there was gimpy who hobbled around after the pack. It was an interesting interlude before the dash to Wellington.

Mel

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never blogged before but can't get left in the dust so here goes. You are inspiring me, I'm thinking maybe South America this summer - Machu Pichu anyone?

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home